Responsible for preparation and processing of billing invoices from pre-bill stage to final invoicing for firm clients, including follow up action on appeals and past due client accounts. Communicates with partners and attorneys regarding billing questions and researches billing related issues, prepares and distributes pre-bills and final invoicing according to client and firm guidelines. Tracks and manages necessary follow up action for life of invoice.
- Perform daily activities of the billing function in support of Partners and Clients. This includes but is not limited to pre-bill generation and edits, updating timekeepers in E-Bill sites and running client reports at the request of the Partners and Attorneys.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and acceptance of invoices on a monthly basis.
- Show tenacity and drive in following up with Billing Partners and others in order to resolve client billing issues and ensure invoices are approved and billed
- Understand and ensure correct implementation of client Outside Counsel Guidelines.
- Ensure electronic invoices are processed accurately and efficiently.
- Must have knowledge of appeal process
- Must be highly detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates professional and highly-developed communication skills. Ability to deal professionally and courteously with attorneys, staff, vendors, and clients of the Firm while observing confidentiality of client and firm matters.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum 3-4 years of related experience in legal billing department
- Understanding of general accounting principles as they apply to Billings and appeals
- Understanding or familiar with various client billing agreements
- Proficient with electronic billing and electronic billing vendors
- Knowledge of Aderant software or equivalent billing systems, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Office
Additional Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- The use of good judgment and good interpersonal communication skills
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills
- Works harmoniously and effectively with others as part of a team
- A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the job
- Exercises confidentiality and discretion
- Proofreads accurately Ability to act in an advisory capacity to attorneys on billing matters
- Customer service oriented with a focus on providing excellent and professional billing assistance to our partners and clients
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others within the billing team, finance team and other firm groups and departments